Here are a few beauty products & tips that you probably have in your kitchen right now. You might have already heard of them, but some of these tips might be new to you. I’ve tried them all, and stand behind each one.
Baking soda– For a white bright smile, even if you happen to indulge in red wine, coffee, nicotine, or any other thing that’s known for removing the luster from your smile.
Source- My Grandfather (believe it or not this is what he used, and at some point in my childhood he told me about it. In terms of whiteness and brightness, this is much more effective than the different baking soda infused toothpastes or the blue gel whitening trays you see on the shelves today.)
- Take a fresh box of baking soda, using a portion of it to fill a small jar with a lid. Store the jar with your other tooth cleaning supplies, probably somewhere near your bathroom sink. Use this 2-3 times per week, in place of your regular toothpaste.
- Side notes: I ALWAYS use before going out on a date night or to any special event, as it makes my smile gleam. I like to follow up with a rinse of mouthwash for a minty fresh flavor. When I first moved here it was a few months before I figured out that baking soda here is called Bicarbonate of Soda, so my baking soda smile regimen went on hiatus for a minute there. I didn’t notice a huge difference myself, but when I did start to use it again, I got multiple compliments on my white teeth the very first day.
Coffee Grounds– This is very helpful for fighting and diminishing cellulite. A nice added benefit is that it leaves your skin unbelievably soft and perfectly exfoliated.
Source- Actress Halle Berry (via multiple online celebrity beauty websites.)
- When you’re done with your coffee, instead of tossing the grounds save them in a plastic container with a lid and store them in the fridge. When you go to shower, grab your grounds, and mix them with your favorite body wash, using like you would a body scrub. Pay special attention to any problem areas like the thigh or tummy regions. Leave to settle into the skin for at least a few minutes. The reason coffee grounds help to diminish and fight cellulite, is because of the caffeine content, so let the grounds hang out on your body for a few minute to work their caffeinated magic. Rinse off thoroughly.
- Side notes: I’m going to be honest here and say that this can be a REALLY messy experience, so it’s best if you have a shower head with a hose, which you can detach to spray the shower down with afterwards. It’s also helpful because you can use the showerhead to get all your difficult to reach body parts. You can imagine the delight of finding coffee grounds between your butt cheeks ;) The clean-up can be a pain, but I do feel it’s worth it. My skin is noticeably and exceptionally soft following the caffeinated experience, and oddly enough I don’t feel the need for any moisturizer when I do this.
Ice cubes /Ice water- Helps to boost radiance and freeze any lines on your face; tightens facial muscles and pores, giving you a little “lift”, and decreases any redness and puffiness.
Source- Supermodel Kate Moss (via multiple online celebrity beauty sites), and my husband’s Scottish Grandmother.
- Make sure you’ve got plenty of ice cubes in your freezer and designate a special bowl for your face dips. When you wake up in the morning, or as Kate says, before getting ready to go to a special night out, dip your face in a bowl of ice water.
- Side notes- This one is really awesome when you can be bothered to do it. A few years ago I was dipping every morning, but I fell out of the habit. When I was regularly using this tip, my face felt invigorated, and it had more of a radiant glow about it, and further to that, any puffiness around my eyes was totally diminished. It’s just the matter of getting your face dipped into that icy water. I would do a few face dips of about 15-20 seconds each, with a tiny break between. Thinking it’s time to get back into the habit. Final note, my husband swears that his Grandmother had the nicest, softest, and most supple skin until she was very advanced in age. It’s just something he always remembered about her. I guess I felt like if even a man notices, it’s kind of a big deal ;)