Between holiday shopping and pouring through my Instagram feeds, I am loving all the new products and clothing out there for babies. I remember the frustration I had trying to decorate Sophie's nursery room. I couldn't find anything in black. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Being the moody art student (joke) and color theorist (nerd) that I am, I was so confused. Highly contrasting colors, like black and white, captivate and hold baby’s attention, encouraging visual development as well as physical activity – like wiggling, kicking, and arm waving. So why couldn't I find any black decor for babies? I wanted her room to be an infant stimulator, but noooooooo. Pastels for days. I even bought a ton of plain white onesies and dyed them black, because in 2007 this color did not exist for the 0-12M crowd.
So these last few weeks have inspired me to make a baby gift board of all the things I would want if I was pregnant today. And for my mom's sake, let's be clear; I don't want to be pregnant again, I just want all of the things.
Besides the achromatic palette, I seem to have created an animal theme as well. No surprise, my cat has his own Instagram feed, so it figures.
Anyhoo, check out these products for your own baby and nursery, or as a great gift for a new mommy. I have recently become an image mapping-mapstress: so feel free to click on the images too!
- Little Lotus Swaddle: I remember staying up all night long, wondering if my baby was too hot or too cold. When it is winter and you can't have blankets in the crib, how do you know your baby isn't freezing without checking on them every 15 minutes? You don't have to worry any more. Using special technology inspired by NASA (NASA SPACESUITS Y'ALL), these swaddles keep your baby at a perfect temperature, ensuring that your baby is never too hot or too cold. The wings are the easiest design for swaddling and the zipper at the bottom is great for late-night diaper changes.
- Parade and Company Dachshund Pillow: This pillow is the perfect size for adding some cushion to your favorite nursing chair or glider, or is a cozy and soft throw pillow for your child's bed. Made from a super soft velveteen, you won't be able to stop snuggling it.
- Dragon Mobile by La De Dah Kids: The black and white mobile I so desparately wanted 8 years ago is here and ready to activate your newborn's brain.
- Rylee and Cru Grizzly Sweatshirt: Super soft 100% cotton french terry that will look adorable on a boy or a girl.
- Odarling “To Be Exact” Leggings: This company, which happens to be a fellow San Diegan (San Diegoan?), seems to be a permanent fixture on my Instagram feed. Totally cute, totally unisex, and totally made by hand.
- AKID Stone Moccasin: I expect to see little Saint West wearing these kicks in 2016.
- OEUF NYC Sparrow Crib: With its wide range of finishes (LOVE the one in SLATE), this stylish and versatile crib will co-ordinate with any nursery decor. Slim side rails and spindles give this crib a light, airy feel and make it a favorite of interior designers. And it's high quality, so when you splurge on your firstborn, it will hold up through your second or third.
- Land Of Nod Early Edition Hamster Bedding: Black and white, cute illustrated animals, and stylized typography. GAH, I'm in love. They also have a color option on the sheets if you want to mix it up.
- Huxbaby Minimalist Short Romper: I want to buy everything on the Milk + Bots website, this romper in particular.
- Society6 Art Print: You Asleep Yet? by Laura Graves: It's a cat, what more needs to be said?!? I'm also going to buy the mug, throw pillow, tshirt, and iPhone case.
- Billy Bibs - Aztec Pom: a one of a kind bib that is drool worthy! It comes with an ethnic black design on one side and a black & white on the other. It is trimmed with cream tassels and features cream braided string ties. I want a baby in my house right now, so I can put this bib on her and giggle with delight.
- Design Letters Kids Plates: Arne Jacobsen’s vintage ABC was hand drawn in 1937. I'm a sucker for typography that is old school cool.